GOD'S WORD IS TRUE

GOD'S WORD IS TRUE

Saturday, May 12, 2018

PLENTY OF PENCILS

GREAT IS THY FAITHFULNESS
OUR DAILY BREAD DEVOTIONS

Plenty of Pencils
Read:  2 Corinthians 12:7-10

When I am weak, then I am strong.  2 Corinthians 12:10

My mother lives alone now.  It’s been eight years since my dad died.  She can’t get out by herself except to take brief walks.  She’s having a terrible time with her short-term memory.  Conversations are limited to a few repeated comments.

Yet she told me something profound.  She said, “I was thinking the other day about my troubles, and I decided that I don’t have anything to complain about.  God’s taking care of me and I’ve got people who are helping. My only trouble is that I can’t remember anything, and I’ve got plenty of pencils and paper to write everything down.”

The apostle Paul struggled with what he called “a thorn in the flesh” (2 Corinthians 12:7).  But he found that in his weakness he experienced “the power of Christ” (v.9).  He said, “I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in needs, in persecutions, in distresses, for Christ’s sake” (v.10).

All of us have struggles.  They may be related to age, finances, relationships, or a myriad of other difficulties.  But if we truly set our heart to trusting God, and if we stay thankful even in the midst of our troubles, we’ll be more likely to acknowledge that we “don’t have anything to complain about.”                                                           DB

Even in my darkest hour
The Lord will bless me with His power;
His loving grace will sure abound,
In His sweet care I shall be found. -Brandt

As you go through life, concentrate on the roses
instead of the thorns.


No comments:

Post a Comment