GOD'S WORD IS TRUE

GOD'S WORD IS TRUE

Friday, October 16, 2015

PRIDE GETS IN THE WAY

Today's promise: God blesses humble people
Pride gets in the way
"God sets himself against the proud, but he shows favor to the humble."
James 4:6 NLT


Not enough to be moral and upright
J.C. Penney was a man of advanced years before he committed his life fully to Jesus Christ. He was a good man, but primarily interested in becoming a success and making money. "When I worked for six dollars a week at Joslin's Dry Goods Store back in Denver," he confessed as he looked back on his life, "it was my ambition…to be worth one hundred thousand dollars. When I reached that goal I felt a certain temporary satisfaction, but it soon wore off and my sights were set on becoming worth a million dollars."

Mr. and Mrs. Penney worked hard to expand the business; but one day Mrs. Penney caught cold, and pneumonia developed, which claimed her life. It was then that J.C. Penney realized having money was a poor substitute for the real purp oses in living. "When she died," he said, "my world crashed around me.…I felt mocked by life, even by God himself."

After several more fiery trials, J.C. Penney was financially ruined, and naturally, in deep distress. This is when God could deal with his self-righteous nature and his love for money. After his spiritual conversion he could testify of God's working.

"I had to pass through fiery ordeals before reaching glimmerings of conviction that it is not enough for men to be upright and moral men. When I was brought to humility and the knowledge of dependence on God, sincerely and earnestly seeking God's aid…a light illumined my being. I cannot otherwise describe it than to say that it changed me as a man."

From James S. Hewett, ed., Parables, Etc. (Saratoga Press) quoted in 1001 Great Stories and Quotes by R. Kent Hughes (Tyndale) pp 215-16 "
Content is derived from the Holy Bible, New Living Translation and other publications of Tyndale Publishing House


No comments:

Post a Comment