GOD'S WORD IS TRUE

GOD'S WORD IS TRUE

Saturday, April 20, 2019

"PIGGIES"

GREAT IS THY FAITHFULNESS

365 DEVOTIONS FROM OUR DAILY BREAD

“PIGGIES”

READ:  1 Peter 5:5-7

[Cast] all your care upon Him,
for He cares for you.  1 Peter 5:7

I recall walking along a Texas creek many years ago with my brother-in-law Ed and his three-year-old son David.  David had been collecting smooth, round stones from the stream while we walked.  He called them “piggies,” because their rounded shape reminded him of little pigs.

David had stuffed a number of “piggies” in his pockets, and after running out of pockets he began carrying them in his arms.  After a while he began to stagger under the load and lag behind.  It was obvious he would never make it back to the house without help, so Ed said, “Here, David, let me carry your piggies.”

Reluctance clouded David’s face for a moment, and then it lit up.  “I know,” he said.  “You carry me and I’ll carry my piggies!”

I’ve often thought of that incident and my own childish insistence that I must carry my own load.  Jesus offers to take all of my burdens but I resist out of stubbornness and pride.  “You carry me,” I say, “but I’ll carry my ‘piggies.’”

How foolish it is to try to carry all your burdens on your own when Jesus asks you to cast “all your care upon Him, for He cares for you” (1 Peter 5:7).

Have you put all of your “piggies” in Jesus’s strong arms today?  DHR

I would tell the Lord my longings,
Roll on Him my every care,
Cast upon Him all my burdens,
Burdens that I cannot bear. -Weigle

God cares. 


No comments:

Post a Comment