GOD'S WORD IS TRUE

GOD'S WORD IS TRUE

Sunday, September 22, 2019

I HAVE EVERYTHING

GREAT IS THY FAITHFULNESS

365 DEVOTIONS FROM OUR DAILY BREAD

I HAVE EVERYTHING

READ:  Philippians 3:1-12

I also count all things loss for the excellence of the knowledge
of Christ Jesus my Lord.  Philippians 3:8

The airline had mangled Debbie’s luggage.  Then her purse disappeared.  Instead of entering the airport through an enclosed corridor, she stumbled off the plane in the pouring rain.  She was drenched, far from home with no money, no identification, and no dry clothes.

Under normal conditions Debbie would have been furious, but that night it didn’t matter.  She had just survived the crash of Flight 1420 in Little Rock, Arkansas.  “When I walked off that plane,”  Debbie said, “I walked off with nothing, then I stopped and thought, I have everything.”  She had suddenly realized that her life was more important than all she had lost.

It sometimes takes a dramatic turn of events to alter our perspective.  That was true for Saul of Tarsus.  He had treasured his hard-earned reputation for “righteousness” more than anything in the world (Philippians 3:4-6).  But when he met Christ on the Damascus road (Acts 9:1-6), his whole outlook changed.  Later he wrote, “What things were gain to me, these I have counted loss for Christ” (Philippians 3:7).

Yielding our sinful pride and self-sufficiency to the Lord may seem as if we are losing everything.  But only then will we discover that to have life in Christ is to have everything.  DCM

We think we have what matters most
Of what this life can give;
But when we yield it all to Christ,
We’ve just begun to live. -DJD

When we have nothing left but Christ,
we find that Christ is enough.


   

No comments:

Post a Comment