GOD'S WORD IS TRUE

GOD'S WORD IS TRUE

Sunday, May 24, 2020

DEALING WITH SELF-DOUBT

GREAT IS THY FAITHFULNESS

365 DEVOTIONS FROM OUR DAILY BREAD

DEALING WITH SELF-DOUBT

READ:  Psalm 26

I will walk in my integrity; redeem me and be merciful to me.
My foot stands in an even place.  Psalm 26:11-12

Sometimes, when I’ve been falsely accused, I have found myself questioning my sincerity.  When I do, I follow the example of David in Psalm 26 as he responded to his critics.

Appealing directly to the Lord, he expressed his firm conviction that he had walked in “integrity” (the Hebrew word means sincerity, not faultlessness).  He asked God to vindicate him, for he had renounced the ways of the wicked, declared his love for God’s temple, and pleaded for deliverance from the fate of the ungodly (vv. 1-10).  Finally, he reaffirmed his resolved to live with sincerity, humbly asked God to redeem him, and acknowledged his need for mercy (v.11).

What happened next?  God gave David the assurance that he stood in “an even place” (v. 12), a symbolic way of saying he was in a place of safety, accepted and protected by the Lord.  As a result, he closed his psalm on a note of confidence and anticipation.

Have the painful barbs of critics or the accusations of your conscience filled you with fear and self-doubt?  Talk to the Lord.  If you need to confess sin, do it.  Then put your hope and trust in God.  He will replace your insecurity and doubt with His supernatural peace.  He has done that for me.  He will do the same for You.  HVL

When you live every hour by the grace of His power
And you know He will guide you aright,
Then day in and day out faith is stronger than doubt,
And faith puts your worries to flight. -Gilbert

Feeding your faith will starve your doubts.


No comments:

Post a Comment