GOD'S WORD IS TRUE

GOD'S WORD IS TRUE

Saturday, May 23, 2020

FOR BETTER OR WORSE?

GREAT IS THY FAITHFULNESS

365 DEVOTIONS FROM OUR DAILY BREAD

FOR BETTER OR WORSE?

READ:  Ephesians 5:22-33

Wives, submit to your own husbands, as to the
Lord….Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ
also loved the church.  Ephesians 5:22, 25

Within a chip shot of our house is a golf course.  When I stand in my backyard, I see ponds waiting hungrily for my next errant shot.  At times I can imagine sand traps and trees joking about my bad days.  

I mention the sport with mixed feelings.  I like to golf occasionally, but living so close to the course reminds me of my failures in playing the game, which has its disadvantages.

A similar problem can occur in marriage.  Sometimes a husband and wife can lose sight of the hopes and dreams they once shared.  Then the very presence of the other becomes a source of irritation, a reminder of past failures and disappointments.

When the apostle Paul wrote his letter to the Ephesians, he asked husbands and wives to turn their thoughts to their relationship with the Son of God (5:22-33).  In Him we find undying love and forgiveness for our failures.  In Him we find Someone who loves to forget the worst and bring out the best.  He reminds us not of what we’ve lost but of what we have yet to find.

“Forgive us, Father, for focusing on your flaws and failures rather than on the love of Your Son, Jesus Christ.  Help us to rediscover our spouse in the light of our Lord’s gray love for us.”   MD

REFLECTING ON MARRIAGE

As a couple, recall the hopes and dreams you had when
you were first married.  Name some that have come true.
Share with each other your hopes for the future.

Marriages may be made in heaven, but they have to be
worked out on earth.


No comments:

Post a Comment